Wednesday, November 08, 2006

My new girlfriend: Photoshop

Dave: Okay, so Tessa thinks I'm more interested in Photoshop than her. I can tell by all the glares, cupboards banging and the familiar loud groaning from the other room. The thing is is that I've discovered photoshop, and love it. I can't drag my sorry ass away from it. I've spent roughly eight hours going over the 250 photos I took of our friends wedding. Now I want to buy a scanner and printer and start going through the millions of other photographs I've taken over the years. I've always been a "film" buff but it was getting expensive and some of the jobs I was getting required digital, so I bought a Nikon D70. It's an amazing camera, and with digital and photoshop together the sky's the limit.... and that sky can be any color you want it to be. I still think of photography as a true art form, with the skill coming from composition and lighting. Photoshop is just a fun tool to add to the process, not replace it. My true passion still lies in taking black and white photos, using a nice high grain film with a #25 red filter.

I'm starting to feel that this whole blog adventure Tessa and I have set out on has become somewhat of a creative outlet that keeps expanding and growing. The more we create and learn the more we want to keep going with it. I even went to a Documentary film info session last night. I'm thinking of taking the course through Langara college. It's yet another avenue I want to dive into and explore. Final cut pro sounds like an amazing editing program that I'm hungry to learn. I want to start making short films, editing them, and posting them here. The wheels are turning.

I know Tessa will think I'll be sneaking out of bed, in the middle of the night, to do even more projects. But the fact is is that I'll be looking at the millions of pictures I've taken of her... admiring her long blonde, black or even blue hair.

No comments: